The NL Waterpark option builds on the fundamental skills, knowledge and values taught in the NL Pool program to train lifeguards in safety supervision and rescue in a waterpark environment.
Prerequisites: NL Pool (need not be current).
Evaluation: All items are evaluated by a National Lifeguard Instructor and/or National Lifeguard Examiner who holds an NL Waterpark certification.
Important note: Waterparks vary in size and attractions. The NL Waterpark option provides candidates with a foundation in lifeguarding a waterpark. Further in-service training is required at a lifeguard’s place of employment for him or her to effectively supervise water rides.
- Demonstrate anaerobic fitness for a spinal-injured victim recovery: In deep water, roll over a face-down, unconscious victim with a suspected spinal injury; carry the victim 15 metres while maintaining immobilization and victim’s mouth and nose above the surface.
- Demonstrate endurance and strength for a distressed victim rescue: Starting in the water, head-up approach 15 metres to contact a distressed victim in deep water; carry the victim 10 metres supporting the victim’s head and shoulders above the surface.
- Through practical activities wherever possible, candidates demonstrate an understanding of facility analysis, hazards and water quality/control unique to a waterpark.
- Demonstrate an understanding of safety considerations and effective lifeguarding for each of the following: moderate slides, high-speed slides, drop-off slides, free-fall slides, "kiddie" slides.
- Demonstrate an understanding of safety considerations and effective lifeguarding for each of the following: continuous rivers, stop-and-go rivers, slow rivers, activity rivers.
- Demonstrate an understanding of safety considerations and effective lifeguarding for wave pools.
- Demonstrate effective communication with patrons, victims, other lifeguards, supervisors and emergency service personnel.
- Demonstrate effective waterpark supervision using observation skills and scanning techniques.
- Demonstrate effective waterpark supervision using lifeguard positioning and rotation.
- Demonstrate ability to recognize situations in which early lifeguard intervention may prevent a rescue emergency.
- Demonstrate a variety of entries and removals appropriate for a waterpark (e.g., wave pools, slides, catch basins and other waterpark apparatus).
- Demonstrate an understanding of different rescue techniques appropriate for specific waterpark features and special situations.
- As a member or leader of a lifeguard team, perform a rescue of an injured victim in a water slide flume.
- Demonstrate an effective search of the waterpark facility for a missing person in both a leadership role and as a team member.
- Demonstrate effective management of a distressed or drowning victim in deep water.
- Demonstrate effective management of a submerged, non-breathing victim and perform 10 cycles of 30 compressions: 2 ventilations on a CPR manikin.
- Demonstrate effective management of a victim with a suspected spinal injury who is located in a catch basin, wave pool, channel, stairs, or who has fallen from a height. Demonstrate this item as member or leader of a team.
- Respond to emergency situations as a single lifeguard and as both a member and leader of a lifeguard team.